Military authorities said Thursday they would hand over 613 rehabilitated “repentant low-risk” terrorists to their state governments.
The 613 rehabilitated terrorists were said to be currently undergoing the process of deradicalization and rehabilitation under Operation Safe Corridor.
Defense Chief of Staff General Lucky Irabor revealed this during the fifth Operation Safe Corridor stakeholder meeting in Abuja.
Irabor, who was represented by the Chief of Defense Training and Operations, Major General Adeyemi Yekini, said the meeting would fully discuss the de-radicalization, rehabilitation and reintegration program before the transfer of the rehabilitated clients to their state governments.
He said: “The OPSC was established by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (ret.), in September 2015 as a window for willing and repentant terrorists to lay down their arms and undergo a structured DRR program.
The scheme was a humanitarian and multi-agency operation that used the expertise of more than 17 services, ministries, departments and agencies, with the support of local and international organizations and partner nations.
He said: “It is also important to mention that upon graduation from the program, each client will receive some food and personal items, as well as a starter pack according to the trade learned during the training so that they can establish small businesses and start a new life. ”
“Therefore, we recommend that host state governments provide the necessary support to enable ex-combatants through the transitional and most challenging phase of their lives.
“We are optimistic that, working closely with local and traditional authorities, states can deploy security apparatuses at their disposal to effectively track and assess reintegrated ex-combatants.
“I must emphasize that it is critical that all stakeholders involved in reintegration processes mitigate or eliminate incidences of recidivism,” the CDS said.
He also said that so far 83,000 insurgents had surrendered to the armed forces, adding that those captured had been tried and were serving various prison terms.
Irabor said: “These sustained operations continue to put pressure and confusion within the ranks of the adversary, causing many to surrender to the armed forces.
“To date, more than 83,000 insurgents and their families have surrendered, while those captured have been tried and sentenced to various prison terms by the courts of justice.
“As we speak, many more captured fighters are being held at various correctional facilities and their trial is ongoing.”