Dozens of security officers are alleged to have been killed by bandits in two communities in the Birnin-Gwari local government area of ​​Kaduna state, The PUNCH reports.

Among the security officers killed were those of the Nigerian Civil Defense and Security Corps, police, soldiers and members of the vigilantes on Sunday, according to a source.

“The attacks were not only on Sunday but started four days ago. There was an attack along the Funtua Birnin Gwari road where many values ​​were killed. But yesterday (Sunday) two guards, a policeman and a soldier were killed,” the source said.

The two affected communities are Kubau and Ungwan Zakara.

It is learned that the problems began when security agents allegedly killed a boy who normally tended the cattle belonging to the bandits.

Angered by the incident, the terrorists stormed a checkpoint known as Aka along the Birnin-Gwari to Kakangi/Randagi road of the western part of Birnin-Gwari LGA in large numbers and sniffed out the lives of some security officers.

One resident, Abubakar Kakangi, who spoke to reporters on Monday, said the bandits have an agreement with members of the communities where they allowed the locals to farm.

He noted that bandits used to pass through villages to sell stolen cows that were frowned upon by security agencies before the boy who “was looking after his cattle” was allegedly killed three weeks ago.

Kakangi said: “Three weeks ago security killed a boy who was looking after his cattle. The bandits were not happy with the murder of the local boy.

“Thus, yesterday (Sunday) bandits broke into Aka security checkpoint along Birnin-Gwari to Kakangi/Randagi road from western Birnin-Gwari LGA.

“The attack occurred around 2:00 p.m. The bandits divided into two groups and carried out the attack simultaneously in the two villages, killing dozens of security personnel, including the Civil Defense Corps, policemen, vigilantes, and soldiers.”

There was no official confirmation from either the Kaduna State Police Command or the State Government.

When contacted by phone, command spokesman Mohammad Jalige promised to contact the Area Commander of the affected communities and contact our correspondent.

However, at the time of filing this report (9:09 pm), Jalige had not yet contacted our correspondent.