The trial of a former aviation minister, Femi Fani-Kayode, before the Lagos State Special Crimes Court in Ikeja, stalled on Monday as the former minister was absent from court.

Fani-Kayode is on trial for the alleged use of false documents, fabricated evidence and seeking the execution of documents before an Ikeja Special Crimes Court.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, is prosecuting Fani-Kayode on 12 counts, in which he was charged with submitting a falsified medical report to Judge Daniel Osiagor of the Federal High Court in Lagos, where he is being prosecuted for alleged N4 . 9 billion fraud.

At the rehearing of the matter on Monday, the defendant’s lawyer, Wale Balogun, informed the court that Fani-Kayode was not in court.

“We regret to announce to your honor that the defendant is not in court due to health reasons and, secondly, because of an ongoing battle that he has with both DSS and the police.”

Balogun informed the court that “since we were last here, the defendant has been reporting every day to the DSS, and while he was doing this, the Nigerian police invited him” for questioning regarding some comments that Fani-Kayode made. online. .

“Since we left here on the last date, he has not been able to have peace of mind, and that has affected his health.

“On the 16th he was in the hospital and on Saturday he was also readmitted to the National Hospital.

“Even now, as we speak, he is also there, and based on this it has become imperative to seek his lordship’s indulgence not only to vacate today, but on the other days, the 21st and 22nd.

“We humbly request that those days be rescinded to allow you to resolve those issues.”

The lawyer said that he had shared some documents with the prosecution in this regard.

EFCC prosecution lawyer Bilikisu Buhari said: “The defense lawyer this morning shared with us two documents; one is a medical report and one is from the Nigerian Police.

“Given the case, we leave the decision to the discretion of the court.”

The defendant who was arraigned on December 17, 2021 has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.

Judge Olubunmi Abike-Fadipe, adjourned the case until May 24 and 25 for the continuation of the trial, after hearing from the lawyers.