The Federal Government said on Monday that it maintains vigilance and a high level of preparedness at the nation’s entry points to prevent a new outbreak of COVID-19 in the country.
The government made this known at the Federal Ministry of Health ministerial press conference in Abuja on COVID-19 and other developments in the health sector.
Speaking at the briefing, Health Minister Dr Osagie Ehanire said the ministry met with the World Health Organization and the Chinese Embassy to review the resurgence of COVID-19 in China.
the punch reports that there is a resurgence of COVID-19 in China following the relaxation of the country’s “Zero-COVID” policy, as well as a significant increase in COVID-19 cases, admissions and deaths in the United Kingdom and the United States of America in recent weeks, driven in part by the usual winter exacerbations of respiratory illnesses.
Ehanire said: “My ministry has been having discussions with the World Health Organization with the senior officials of the ministry, and we have had technical sessions to do a review of the situation.
“The observed increase in the number of cases in China, the US and Europe is seasonal and not unexpected during the winter.
“So the recent relaxation also affects the increase in cases with the removal of travel restrictions.
“From what you know so far, it’s not like there’s a new variant, but there are sub-variants, and they’re different.
“The Ministry of Health will continue to maintain vigilance and a high level of preparedness, especially at our points of entry.
“The Ministry of Health will not hesitate to take the necessary measures.”
The minister advised Nigerians to take necessary precautions, get vaccinated and wear face masks when necessary.