Manchester United increased the pressure on Everton manager Frank Lampard on Friday, overcoming a howl from goalkeeper David de Gea to win the FA Cup third round tie 3-1.

Everton traveled to Old Trafford with trepidation after falling into the Premier League relegation zone this week following a harrowing 4-1 thrashing at home by Brighton.

But they got off to the worst possible start, with Brazilian striker Antony scoring just after four minutes.

They were level 10 minutes later after Conor Coady pounced on an embarrassing mistake by De Gea, but the Everton defender slotted the ball into his own net early in the second half to put the initiative back to the home side.

Marcus Rashford increased Manchester United’s lead in the dying seconds, scoring from the penalty spot.

United won the most recent of their 12 FA Cups in 2016, while Everton’s victory against United in the 1995 Wembley final was the last time they had won a trophy.

The Red Devils, seeking their first silverware since 2017, sit fourth in the Premier League in Erik ten Hag’s first season in charge and are through to the League Cup quarter-finals.

The in-form team opened the scoring when the impressive Rashford plunged down the left and into the penalty area before firing the ball across the box to a rapidly arriving Antony.

Moments later, Anthony Martial shone wide and Everton looked to be in for a tough night.

– De Gea mistake –

But Demarai Gray gave United a warning when he shot just past the post from outside the box and minutes later Everton equalized under mysterious circumstances.

Amadou Onana won the ball on the edge of the box and fed Neal Maupay, who deflected the ball towards the near post.

De Gea could have used his hands, but the ball somehow slipped between his legs as he held on to the post with one hand and Coady had the easier finish.

The mood of the match changed, but United still looked dangerous in their forays forward, with Jordan Pickford denying Martial after a lightning counter-attack.

Ten Hag urged the United fans to turn up the volume as he came out after half time and they were quickly back in front, with Rashford once again playing a crucial role.

The England striker cut in from the left and into the Everton box, past Seamus Coleman to send a low ball that Coady converted into his own net.

United continued to search for vacancies as fans taunted Lampard with “you’ll be fired in the morning” chants, with Bruno Fernandes testing the Everton Pickford goalkeeper from a distance.

Showing admirable fighting spirit, Everton had the ball in the net through substitute Dominic Calvert-Lewin, but the goal was ruled out by VAR for offside early in the play.

Rashford added sparkle to the scoring from the spot after Alejandro Garnacho was brought down.