NAMIP Sustainability Challenge 2023 for Nigerian media. Apply below.
When is the application deadline?
February 28, 2023 midnight
Tell Me About Award:
Applications are now open for the Sustainability Challenge for Nigerian media. Winners will receive up to $50,000 for their project and join NAMIP’s innovation and capacity building program that runs through 2024.
The Sustainability Challenge is seeking applications from media organizations focused on solving or improving their “organizational sustainability” by creating innovative news and information products that:
- Explore opportunities to reach and connect with broader audiences through digital platforms and technologies; Y
- Develop new income generation opportunities or sustainable business models.
What happens to the eligible fields of study?
We encourage applications from existing independent media companies, non-profit media, and startups that have news projects or products that address one or more of the following focus areas:
Digital native products: Do you use new and innovative approaches to news and information gathering, and to reporting, storytelling, and distribution that embrace the capabilities of technology?
Reach out to rural communities: Are you developing or have you developed innovative approaches to reach and empower people outside of major urban areas, and those who are typically unserved by existing media?
Technological innovation for distribution: Are you developing or have you developed a new media technology that distributes local news in a profitable and sustainable way?
New income opportunities: Are you exploring innovative solutions to revenue challenges facing media companies? How can we open up new sources of revenue to make media organizations more sustainable and independent?
Transition to digital: Are you looking for and implementing solutions, products or processes that help legacy media transform their businesses?
What countries are eligible?
Who is eligible?
- It could be an existing independent media company, a non-profit organization, or a new business just getting started.
- We’re looking for mission-driven companies and organizations who are passionate about trying new approaches to local news and information.
- We encourage applicants without traditional journalism and media experience, particularly in the areas of technology, design, and business.
- We also encourage applicants with independent radio (both community and commercial) and television platforms that are developing unique strategies to reach their audiences to apply.
- Note: Participants who applied in the first call but were unsuccessful are still eligible to apply again.
How many prizes?
What is the value of the prize?
Successful applicants will benefit from up to $50,000 towards their project and have access to a variety of capacity building activities, including targeted and customized training, one-on-one coaching, as well as joining NAMIP’s supportive community of like-minded organizations.
How to apply?
Click here to apply