It is somewhat worrying that just five days into the new year, several deaths have already been registered in some parts of the country. At least some 40 people have so far died from unfortunate circumstances in Nigeria.

the punch reported that seven people were confirmed dead in an accident involving a Toyota Hiace bus and a Mack tanker truck along the Lagos-Ibadan highway on New Year’s Day, Sunday 1 January.

Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps in Ogun Ahmed Umar, who confirmed the accident, said the accident was caused by the speeding of the bus driver who lost control and hit a Mack tanker truck from the rear.

On the same Sunday, January 1, in an alleged case of murder and arson, a former Central Bank of Nigeria employee, Kehinde Fatinoye, and his wife Bukola were killed and set on fire by yet-to-be-identified assassins who invaded their residence in the area of Ibara from Abeokuta, Ogun State.

The couple were killed after returning from a cross service, while the assailants took their son, Oreoluwa Fatinoye. Oreoluwa’s body was recovered two days later from a river in the Adigbe-Obada area of ​​the state and buried by the family.

As if that wasn’t scary enough, the punch also reported that in Oyo state, on the same Sunday, January 1, a driver entered the dance floor of a New Year’s party, killing five people, before fleeing the scene. Four others were left in critical condition.

In a sort of chain reaction, in what appeared to be a cult-related confrontation, the Chairman General of Obosi City, Anambra State, Ike Okolo, was shot dead at a gas station around 8 p.m. :00 hours on Monday, January 1. 2. Another person on a tricycle was reportedly killed by gunmen on Tuesday night.

In Koko, Kebbi state, around 20 farmers lost their lives in a boat accident in the Koko/Besse local government area on Tuesday. Eighty people who were on board the boat at the time of the accident were rescued.

Also, a couple identified as Sulaiman Idris and Maimuna Haliru, were found dead at their home in Kano state’s Dawakin Tofa LGA on Tuesday, after police were alerted that the couple had not been seen since Monday.

State police command spokesman Abdullahi Haruna-Kiyawa said preliminary investigation revealed the couple suffocated on fumes from a burning charcoal pot to warm their room from the cold.

“Upon receiving the report, Kano State Police Commissioner Mr. Mamman Dauda directed a team of detectives led by CSP Ahmed Hamza, DPO Dawakin Tofa Division to proceed to the scene.

“The bodies of the victims were removed from the scene and rushed to Murtala Muhammed Specialized Hospital, Kano, where a doctor confirmed their death,” Haruna-Kiyawa said.